Office hours: Please note ours may vary on a day-to-day basis. Monday/Wednesday/Friday 8a-10p (Last Appointment 9pm) – Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday 8a-4p (Last Appointment 3pm) – Lunch 12p-1pm (Office closed)

  • Dog Asking For Chocolate

    Why Chocolate Shouldn’t be Fed to Dogs

    As loving pet owners, it is important to remember that many of the treats we humans enjoy are toxic to our canine friends. Foods like chocolate and grapes, which we snack on regularly, can actually be quite dangerous for dogs if ingested. Even “humane” items like onions, macadamias, walnuts and garlic can cause health issues for a dog due to their toxicity levels. Thankfully, many pet food manufacturers create delicious snacks crafted especially for furry friends that provide great nutrition and safety. And don’t forget the importance of proper portion size – even in healthy snacks designed for pets – when feeding your pup something new. So while all of us humans may not agree on what’s tasty and what isn’t, when it comes to living with a four-legged family friend it is always important to skip the unhealthy things we enjoy so they stay happy and healthy.

    Chocolate — A Toxic Treat

    Chocolates are a delicious treat for humans, but they can be dangerous for dogs. While a small amount of chocolate may not cause any harm to your furry friend, consuming large amounts can lead to serious health issues. Here are some reasons why chocolates shouldn’t be fed to dogs:

    • Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine: Both caffeine and theobromine are stimulants that can be harmful to dogs. Theobromine, in particular, is toxic to dogs and can cause an irregular heartbeat, tremors, and seizures. Dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate contain higher amounts of theobromine than milk chocolate, making them more dangerous for dogs.
    • Chocolate can cause digestive issues: In addition to the stimulants it contains, chocolate can also cause digestive issues in dogs. Consuming chocolate can lead to vomiting and diarrhea, and it can also cause pancreatitis, a condition that results in inflammation of the pancreas.
    • Chocolate can lead to other health issues: In severe cases, chocolate ingestion can lead to other health issues such as an elevated body temperature, increased heart rate, and difficulty breathing. It can also lead to muscle tremors and muscle rigidity, and it can even cause death in extreme cases.
    • Dogs are attracted to the smell and taste of chocolate: Many dogs are attracted to the smell and taste of chocolate, which can make it difficult to keep them away from it. It is important to keep chocolate out of reach of your dog, as they may be tempted to eat it if it is easily accessible.
    • Chocolate can be toxic to dogs in small amounts: Even small amounts of chocolate can be toxic to dogs, depending on their size and weight. A small dog may be more vulnerable to chocolate poisoning than a larger dog, as their body may not be able to metabolize the theobromine as efficiently.
    • Chocolate should never be given as a reward: While it may be tempting to reward your dog with a piece of chocolate, it is important to choose a safer and healthier option. There are many dog-safe treats available, such as freeze-dried liver or chicken, that can be used as rewards.
    • Chocolate can be hidden in other foods: Chocolate can also be hidden in other foods, such as cookies and cakes, which can make it harder to spot. It is important to be mindful of what you are feeding your dog and to check the ingredients list to ensure that chocolate is not included.

    Keep Your Pets Safe

    As beloved companions, caring for our dogs is a top priority. Unfortunately, many foods that are enjoyed by humans can be hazardous to our canine friends. Chocolate, grapes and raisins, onions and garlic, macadamia nuts – these seemingly innocuous things that come together to make great snacks for us can be seriously toxic to dogs.

    While some may cause gastric upset, others can be much more dangerous. It’s important to remember that just because something is deemed safe for human consumption does not mean it is appropriate for the furry members of our families.

    Come to Dr. Ron’s Animal Hospital

    At Dr. Ron’s Animal Hospital, our Vet Checking Dog Digestive Issueteam of experienced professionals is on hand to guide you through the process of feeding and caring for your beloved pets. With our location convenient to Simi Valley, Moorpark, Thousand Oaks, Chatsworth, and other areas nearby Ventura County, we are committed to helping make sure your furry friends get the proper nutrition they need.

    Immediate medical attention is also necessary when it comes to risky situations such as your dog eating chocolate. We understand how upsetting this type of situation can be but at our hospital we strive to provide a safe and compassionate environment so that you and your pet can get back to living as usual without delay.

    posted on December 15, 2022 at 6:43 am by Doctor Ron